Student Travel Instructions and Application
The Partners of the Americas High School Exchange Program has a great opportunity to offer you! This program is an excellent opportunity for you to use and improve your Spanish language skills while experiencing the culture of Costa Rica first-hand. We are pleased that you are applying to be a traveler for our program. It is important to our organization that travelers are appropriately selected and adequately prepared for the travel experience. Please read through the information carefully.
You are invited to join us for an optional information session on either January 21, 2018 at Taborspace in SE Portland or January 28, 2018 in Salem.
Priority application deadline is February 10, 2018. February 17th is the absolute application deadline. If 40 applications have been received prior to February 17th, additional applications will not be considered.
All applicants are required to attend and participate fully in mandatory orientation sessions on:
Feb. 25, 2018 – Getting to Know You
Mar. 18, 2018 – Interviews
April 22, 2018 – Presentation Practice Session
May 05-06, 2018 – Overnight Orientation
June 3, 2018 – Parent Student Final Orientation
Times and locations can be found on the Student Travel – Important Program Dates page. While your attendance at the Informational Orientation is not required, it is strongly recommended because we discuss the program, application requirements and acceptance criteria in detail.
This is an exchange program; travelers will be asked to commit to hosting a Costa Rican Student for 4 weeks during December or January before or after traveling to Costa Rica. If you are unable to host, you may find a “surrogate” family to host on your behalf.
To apply to travel you must complete and submit ALL of the following materials by the application deadline of February 10, 2018.
The Student Travel Application, Parent Questionnaire, Confidential References and Transcript must be submitted electronically. Please follow the directions below for the remaining student application requirements. Please contact Lauren Morrow at [email protected] if alternate accomodations need to be made.
The Student Travel Application and Parent Questionnaire can be saved but it is best to complete the information in one sitting. Each document should take around 30 minutes to complete. The application also asks the traveler to upload a recent photo of him or herself. Please make/save a copy of your application prior to submission.
- Student Travel Application – Electronic main application/demographic information to be completed by applicant. This form should take about 30 minutes to complete.
- Parent Questionnaire – Electronic questionnaire Questions to be answered by your parents/guardians. This form cannot be saved, plan to complete it in one sitting (it should take about 30 minutes to complete). Please make/save a copy of the questionnaire prior to submission.
- Confidential References – The three references must include: (1) Spanish teacher (2) Another teacher or counselor (3) Family friend or another adult who knows you well (who is not immediate family). References will be emailed upon receipt of their recommendation. Please provide this form to your references. Please provide this electronic link to your references. Please make/save a copy of your application prior to submission. https://www.partnersorcr.com/traveling-confidential-reference/
- Unofficial high school transcript.
- $30 non-refundable processing fee – check should be made out to Partners of the Americas.
Please scan and email your transcript to: [email protected].
Please send your application fee to: Partners of the Americas, c/o Dan Green, 123 Barclay Ave, Oregon City, OR 97405